The Target team wanted to build a voice action for Google Assistant that would allow Target guests to reorder pantry staples from Target Restock.
- What is the context and motivation for voice shopping?
- Which shopping tasks are most commonly accomplished by voice?
- When and how should we prompt users to specify details (brand, size, flavor) of the item they want?
- Diary study using dScout.com platform
- Recruited 28 participants who used a voice assistant to help them shop
- Watched and analyzed video of >100 voice shopping moments submitted by participants
Findings and Impacts
Created 3 personas for voice shoppers based on their behaviors and reasons for using voice:
- The efficient lister
- The lazy typer
- The multimodal browser
Created a user journey based on voice shopping's "Jobs to Be Done"
Prioritized support for the most common voice-based shopping activity: listmaking