The Target team was developing a service to automatically reorder household essentials, through the use of three smart products: toilet paper spindle, paper towel holder, and soap pump.
- What design features help users trust and value the Fetch products and service?
- How might we improve the app onboarding experience?
- Recruited 8 participants who matched the Fetch persona
- Conducted in-home interviews where participants explored the Fetch products
- Used paper prototypes to understand participants’ reactions to the proposed app onboarding process
- Emergent coding of interview data using F4Analyze
Findings and Impacts
Modified app and service features to increase trust:
- App indicates quantity on hand
- App estimates time until replenishment
- App estimates delivery window
- Added confirmation email (not shown)
Revised app interaction to improve usability:
- Streamlined product selection to "refine" rather than filter, sort, search
- Updated icons to clarify process of selecting a product